In 2002 Sara Badiali trained and worked as a construction welder for architect Paolo Soleri at Arcosanti in Cordez Junction, Arizona. Starting in 2005 Sara worked for four years coordinating projects for Deconstruction Services at the ReBuilding Center in Portland, Oregon. For over ten years she has consulted on both construction businesses and nonprofit organizations, and worked for local design build firms like Hammer and Hand in energy efficiency.
Sara created the building material reuse news website the Reclamation Administration.Com. By invitation Sara presented at two national conferences on building material reuse in 2013. In 2014 she was board chair for the national nonprofit Building Material Reuse Association.
Sara has a Master’s degree in Public Administration from Portland State University. She is currently serving her second year on the City of Portland’s Deconstruction Advisory Group. Sara is the author of six articles on building material reuse and deconstruction practices. She is a welder and woodworker, designing and creating furniture, lighting, and fire features. She currently resides in Portland, Oregon.
- Adviser for City of Portland’s The Deconstruction Advisory Group. 2015
- Chair of the Building Material Reuse Association a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building material reuse education for over 20 years. 2013-2014
- Secretary of the Board of Directors of Research Club an organization that creates inclusive environments where the insatiably curious participate in each other’s ideas, and provides the tools and encouragement necessary for them to take action on their passions. 2011-2014
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality Recycling Opportunities Act Subgroup Stakeholder Consultant. 2014
- City of Portland, Oregon Deconstruction Contractor Training, ReUse Consulting
- Jordan Jordan, Building Materials Broker, Earth Advantage // Better Buildings Now
- Don Jorovsky, University of Minnesota, Department of Energy and Environment at Hennepin County, Minnesota
The Evolution of Deconstruction in Portland Creating Public Policies and Regulations through Community Engagement and Cooperation: Japanese Local Government Managers Training The Tokyo Foundation/Portland State University 2016
The Reclamation Administration
Building Material Reuse Association Decon ’13 Expo
The Reclamation Administration
Reclaim + Remake Symposium 2013: “Waste is a resource in the wrong place”
The Reclamation Administration: 30 Reuse Projects
NW EcoBuilding Guild: Deconstruction/Salvage Event 2012
The Reclamation Administration: Drop Box Brigade http://vimeo.com/31185514
Research Club Brunch Speakers 2011, 2013
Deconstruction vs. Demolition: Portland, Oregon’s Potential for Groundbreaking Health and Safety Studies in Building Demolition Reclamation Administration: July 22, 2016
Deconstruction Resolution Unanimously Passes Portland City Council Reclamation Administration: February 2016
Reuse Centers: Ways to Optimize Partnerships Reclamation Administration: November 2015
Finding Reclaimed Materials for Bar Tables Building Material Reuse Association: June 2014 Newsletter
PDX Carpet Ride Reclamation Administration: March 2014
Deconstruction is Policy Already Written Building Material Reuse Association: March 2014 Newsletter
Drowning in Demolition Building Material Reuse Association: February 2014 Newsletter
Hourly rate is $75.00.
- General Building Material Reuse
- Reuse Centers
- Markets for Building Materials/Brokerage
- Design Resources
To get the most out of your time with me prepare the following:
- A list of questions
- Identify the priority subjects
- What do you want as a result of our conversation?
a. A list of resources
b. Business ideas
c. Broader understanding of reuse
d. Outline of next steps
Quotes for individual speaking requests
Topics – Includes slides
- Building Material Reuse Design
- Municipal/Government Adaptive Reuse Projects
- Community Development through reuse
- Reuse Businesses
Quote for individual research projects.
Specialized research in the areas of building material reuse.