Sara Badiali is a consultant for businesses and nonprofit organizations on how to create circular economies from recycling buildings.
She is the creator of Reclamation Administration.Com, a building material reuse news and innovation resource available free to the public since 2011.
Sara has provided Portland’s Bureau of Planning and Sustainability with data and research products, and is the author of seven articles and one infographic on building material reuse and deconstruction practices.
Sara advised the creation of the City of Portland’s Building Deconstruction Ordinance as a consultant on the Deconstruction Advisory Group. She was board chair for the national nonprofit Building Material Reuse Association, and presents at and hosts reuse events. She created PDX RUST: Portland’s ReUse for Societal Transformation, and co-hosted the national Decon + Reuse Expo in 2017.
While Sara has trained and certified individuals and companies in building deconstruction, her passion is transforming dismantled buildings into products and jobs. Her vision is that all defunct building stock be transformed into revenue, and returned to local economies.
She has worked with two-hundred artists, designers, crafts-people and Makers, to create products with over 80% reclaimed materials, and to divert over 40 tons of waste.
Sara has a Master’s degree in Public Administration from Portland State University, and trained and worked as a construction welder in 2002, for architect Paolo Soleri at Arcosanti in Cordez Junction, Arizona.
The Reclamation Administration is a Certified Women Business Enterprise (WBE) in the State of Oregon.
- Creator of PDX RUST: Portland ReUse for Societal Transformation
- Host/Planner for BMRA’s Decon + Reuse ’17 Expo: Portland, Oregon – Reclaiming the Past: Building Our Future 2017
- Adviser for City of Portland’s The Deconstruction Advisory Group. 2015- Current
- Chair of the Building Material Reuse Association a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building material reuse education for over 20 years. 2013-2014
- Secretary of the Board of Directors of Research Club an organization that creates inclusive environments where the insatiably curious participate in each other’s ideas, and provides the tools and encouragement necessary for them to take action on their passions. 2011-2014
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality Recycling Opportunities Act Subgroup Stakeholder Consultant. 2014
- Crackedpots Reuse Art Show at McMenamins Edgefield 2018, 2019
- City of Portland, Oregon, Deconstruction Contractors Data Collection 2018
- City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Department of Neighborhood Services, Preston D. Cole Commissioner and Chris Kraco Supervisor, July 2017
- City of Portland, Oregon. Deconstruction Workforce Training, ReUse Consulting, March 2017
- City of Portland, Oregon, Deconstruction Contractor Training, ReUse Consulting, July 2016
- Don Jorovsky, University of Minnesota, Department of Energy and Environment at Hennepin County, Minnesota, June 2016
City of Portland Deconstruction Workforce Certification: Introducing the Originals Association of Oregon Recyclers Sustainable Oregon Conference 2017
City of Portland Deconstruction Workforce Certification: Introducing the Originals: Oregon Metro Regional Government 2017
ReUse and Deconstruction – Creating Jobs, Equity and Sustainability in Portland: Association of Oregon Recyclers Conference 2017
The Evolution of Deconstruction in Portland Creating Public Policies and Regulations through Community Engagement and Cooperation: Japanese Local Government Managers Training The Tokyo Foundation/Portland State University 2016
The Reclamation Administration
Building Material Reuse Association Decon ’13 Expo
The Reclamation Administration
Reclaim + Remake Symposium 2013: “Waste is a resource in the wrong place”
The Reclamation Administration: 30 Reuse Projects
NW EcoBuilding Guild: Deconstruction/Salvage Event 2012
The Reclamation Administration: Drop Box Brigade http://vimeo.com/31185514
Research Club Brunch Speakers 2011, 2013
Master of Special Problem Solving, Dave Bennink Disassembles 1,000 Buildings by Hand Reclamation Administration: July 31, 2017
Deconstruction vs. Demolition: Portland, Oregon’s Potential for Groundbreaking Health and Safety Studies in Building Demolition Reclamation Administration: July 22, 2016
Deconstruction Resolution Unanimously Passes Portland City Council Reclamation Administration: February 2016
Reuse Centers: Ways to Optimize Partnerships Reclamation Administration: November 2015
Finding Reclaimed Materials for Bar Tables Building Material Reuse Association: June 2014 Newsletter
PDX Carpet Ride Reclamation Administration: March 2014
Deconstruction is Policy Already Written Building Material Reuse Association: March 2014 Newsletter
Drowning in Demolition Building Material Reuse Association: February 2014 Newsletter
- Building Material Reuse
- Reuse Centers
- Markets for Building Materials/Brokerage
- Design Resources
- Reuse Policy
- Reuse Art Festivals
To get the most out of your time with me prepare the following:
- A list of questions
- Identify the priority subjects
- What you want as a result of our conversation
a. A list of resources
b. Business ideas
c. Broader understanding of reuse
d. Outline of next steps
Quotes for individual speaking requests
Topics – Includes slides
- Building Material Reuse Design
- Municipal/Government Adaptive Reuse Projects
- Community Development through reuse
- Reuse Businesses
Quote for individual design projects
- Marketing Materials
Quote for individual research projects.
Specialized research in the areas of building material reuse.
Reclamation Administration Store